Brick Wall People Redux – Part 6 – Hannah Griffiths

Hannah Griffiths ca 1926 with her daughter
in law, both daughters, and two grandsons
Name: Hannah Griffiths
Birth: 1844, Newcastle Emlyn, Wales
Death: 1933, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
Marriage: before 1866, in Wales
Location(s): Newcastle Emlyn, Wales; Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
Relation to me: Hanna Griffiths is my maternal grandmother's paternal grandmother, which makes her 5th generation before me.
Alias(es): None known at this time.
Parents: Thomas Griffiths & Frances Bowen
Spouse(s): Benjamin Jones
Children: John, Joseph, Daniel, David, William, May, Sophia
Other Family: Siblings: David, John, Mary, Elizabeth, Anne, Margaret, Jane, and Frances; William Bowen & Margaret (no surname known), grandparents.

Details: Like Benjamin, the majority of information I have on Hannah comes from my grandmother. She was lucky enough to travel to Wales with her family once before her grandmother's death, and told me often about meeting her and being allowed to sleep with her in her bed during that visit. I only know a slight bit more about her than I do about her husband, though I have a great deal more pictures of her. As I said, she continued to run the Post Office in Merthyr Tydfil after her husband's death. I also know she blamed herself for her son Davey's death, as he ran into a lake to catch her hat one day when he was still recovering from a cold or the flu, and fell sick with pneumonia, and died.

I now have a much more precise list of her children, though their ages are still not perfect, I think. Other than that, I know little about her, and would love to learn how she came to Merthyr Tydfil from Newcastle Emlyn.

Proof:
1) Like Benjamin, all my details on Hannah in my family tree came from my grandmother, and through her father. Beyond that, I had no specific proof for many years.
2) My first actual proof came from the record of my great-grandfather's death on Family Search, which lists Hannah as his mother. I assume this came from my grandmother or one of her siblings, as with Benjamin.
3) Like I said above, we have many photos of Hannah, both from her life in Wales after Daniel's departure, as well as his visit back with his family.
4) And I also have the stories I mentioned from my grandmother about her visit. There are not many of them, but there are a few that I do recall.

New Proofs I have found of Hannah:
5) Like Benjamin, I have many Census records listing her. The first is the 1851 Census, with her parents and siblings.
6) The 1861 Census lists her with her mother Frances and her sister, Frances and a niece, Naomi.
7) She's then listed in the 1871 with her husband and eldest two sons, John and Joseph.
8) The 1881 lists her and Benjamin with their eldest three sons, David, Joseph, and John.
9) The 1891 has six of their seven children listed: David, John, Daniel, William, Mary, and Sarah.
10) And the 1901 lists six again: Joseph, John, Daniel, William, Mary, and Sarah.
11) Then she is listed in her son Daniel's Wedding record.
12) And also in Daniel's death record.

Needed:
I have more precise BMD information for Hannah than for her husband, though I still need their wedding record. It would be nice to have more exact information for her birth and death info as well. I need to sort through the census records and get her kids' ages sorted out, but that will come with time.

But overall? Hannah's my first success story, as far as I'm concerned. I now have both her parents' names, and also the names of her siblings, and all her children sorted, I believe. So I'm actually quite happy with my knowledge about her now. Which means that she's no longer a brick wall. I'll be jumping another generation back to continue this family line.

Original Post
Other Posts about Hannah Griffiths:

0 comments :

Post a Comment

About this blog

This blog is maintained by two sisters who have had a life long interest in geneology.
Mika writes here mostly about our family (Hansen, Hillinger, Bordewick, Park, etc), and her search for more information.
Shannon mostly uses this space as a place to make the many stories written about and by her husband's family (Holly, Walker, Walpole, etc) available to the rest of the family, present and future.

Our blog is named Oh Spusch! mostly because Shannon is bad at naming things. The first post I put up includes a story about the time Walker's great grandfather took his whole family out to see a play and the littlest kept saying "Oh! Spusch!" No one ever figured out what she meant by that.