Censuses!

So the 1950 Census will be out in just ten days. I'm very excited. This will have my dad and his parents in it, so long as they weren't actively on the move when it was taken in their neighborhood. I think I have the right ED, but I'll probably wait until info is at least a little searchable on Ancestry. Ancestry has a tool for looking up your family's Enumeration District (ED), if you know where they were living at the time. If that doesn't work for you, there is also Steve Morse's site, which can help you narrow your ED  down. 

However, the US isn't the only census to come out this year, and the Canadian 1931 census will come out next year. So here's what I've found out:

At this time, the 1921 UK Census is out. However, it is only available on Find My Past, only if you pay for an account, and even then, you have to pay for each image of the census you look at. So that one's not easily available, unless you live in the UK. My great-great grandfather Leon should be in that UK Census, so hopefully it will eventually be more widely available, though I doubt that will be this year.

The Danish 1950 Census is also available this year, and should be up sometime soon. I wasn't able to narrow down a date, so if you know one, feel free to let me know! I don't have anyone in my direct line who should still be in this Census, but some of my great-grandparents' siblings should be in it, at the very least.

the US 1950 Census comes out on April 1, and Ancestry and Family Search are already chomping at the bit to get the translated to data on their sites so that they are easily searchable on both sites. This one should, if I am very lucky, have my dad and his parents in it. Wish me luck!

The Canadian 1931 Census will be out next year. I don't know much about when or how this will be available, so all I can do is wait impatiently, as both my grandparents and their parents should be on this one. They were both supposed to be in the 1921 census, too, but I was never able to find the Jones family, so it is possible that they were in Wales at the time it was taken. Hopefully they'll be there this time.

And those are the ones I'm most looking forward to getting my hands on. 

Have you started prepping for the Census? Who are you looking forward to seeing on it?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

About this blog

This blog is maintained by two sisters who have had a life long interest in geneology.
Mika writes here mostly about our family (Hansen, Hillinger, Bordewick, Park, etc), and her search for more information.
Shannon mostly uses this space as a place to make the many stories written about and by her husband's family (Holly, Walker, Walpole, etc) available to the rest of the family, present and future.

Our blog is named Oh Spusch! mostly because Shannon is bad at naming things. The first post I put up includes a story about the time Walker's great grandfather took his whole family out to see a play and the littlest kept saying "Oh! Spusch!" No one ever figured out what she meant by that.