Hansen (part 2) Placeline

Here's my second Hansen line. Which always confuses every genealogy program I have, because Oline Hansen married Holger Hansen, so she never had to change her maiden name, and the programs all assume I entered it wrong because I didn't change it. But while Holger was from Jutland (the part that connects to the continent of Europe), Oline was born nearly in the center of the large island that makes up much of the rest of Denmark, known as Sealand.

As always, Bold is places where the major events happened--birth, marriage, and death, and italics are other locations lived in for at least a year.

1. Oline Hansen

A. Cleveland, Ohio. After meeting Holger, Oline and he moved to Cleveland, married and settled there together. All three of their children were born there before her death in 1929. They lived in a Danish community, and her brother Hans Christian and several of Holger's brothers (and possibly cousins) also came to visit them or settled there. My grandmother told me they had a very good life there.

B. Chicago, Illinois. We believe that Oline came to Chicago immediately upon landing in the US. We don't know this for certain, but she did list her home as Chicago in an Ellis Island arrival record in 1917, so we know she lived there for a time. She may have started elsewhere, but as of right now, I have no absolute proof of any other locations in the US for her.

C. Copenhagen, Denmark. According to the few records I've found, and the family information, it appears that Oline moved with the family she worked for to the Copenhagen area, living in Frederiksberg (a neighborhood of Copenhagen) with them until she left to emigrate to America.

D. Fjenneslev, Denmark. This is where Oline was born. Her father had a farm inherited from his parents, where she and all her siblings were born. It's an interesting area, because there's a very famous church here, and stories about that church and the man who built it. However, they weren't well to do enough to go to that church, so they were baptised and confirmed in the Alsted church. 

One note here for the rest of this: Fjenneslev, Alsted, and Knudstrup are all small towns that my family lived right on the edge of, so while some of my records say one town or the other, I know that the family really didn't move from this area well back in time. For the rest of this record, all I can say for certain is that it looks as though the family really hadn't moved from this location in many generations.

2. Rasmus Hansen

A. Knudstrup, Denmark. Rasmus is listed as being born in Knudstrup, but I know his family farm was the same as the one he later inherited, so I'm leaving his birth and death location as Knudstrup, but I know he lived in Fjenneslev, just like his daughter. He lived on his family farm his whole life, married in the area twice, and all his children were born on that farm. And he died there as well.

3. Hans Nielsen

A. Knudstrup, Denmark. Like his son, Hans doesn't appear to have moved from the area from birth to death. I do have one census record that shows Hans and his wife with their son with him being the new farmer, and them being the retired farmers, so I know he inherited his father's farm, but I don't know exactly where they died, but I believe it was in this same general area.

4. Niels Andersen

We're now in the murkiest part of my family tree, and these are as likely to be wrong as right, though at this time, I'm inclined to feel these seem to be correct based on location and names.

A. Alsted, Denmark. Nearly all the locations I have for Niels are Alsted, with a few slight variations, so I presume he lived and died in the area. I do not know if he owned the farm that Hans Nielsen owned, though that is a strong possibility until I've managed to dig deeper.

5. Anders Hansen

A. Alsted, Denmark. Unlike the following generations until Oline, Anders is actually listed with different birth and death locations. While that means something or not, I felt it was worth marking. His marriage and death are marked as Alsted.

B. Fjenneslev, Denmark. Like my great-grandmother, he's marked as having been born at Fjenneslev. All the rest of his event locations are marked as Alsted.

6. Hans Nielsen

A. Alsted, Denmark. At this time, Alsted is the only location I have for him, so he probably lived and died in the area as well.

*

And that's everything for Oline's father's line. Fluffled out a little with the Knudstrup/Alsted/Fjenneslev issue, but otherwise it's quite small. Six places all together, and three of them are practically the same place.

I will say, if you know this line, I'd love to talk to you about what you know, particularly about the specifics of the farm, and each of these generations and where they lived.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

About this blog

This blog is maintained by two sisters who have had a life long interest in geneology.
Mika writes here mostly about our family (Hansen, Hillinger, Bordewick, Park, etc), and her search for more information.
Shannon mostly uses this space as a place to make the many stories written about and by her husband's family (Holly, Walker, Walpole, etc) available to the rest of the family, present and future.

Our blog is named Oh Spusch! mostly because Shannon is bad at naming things. The first post I put up includes a story about the time Walker's great grandfather took his whole family out to see a play and the littlest kept saying "Oh! Spusch!" No one ever figured out what she meant by that.