JONES (Wales) – Part II

Meaning/Pronunciation: Pronunciation: Joenz. Like Hansen, this name means “Son of John.”

Origin: Welsh

Variations: This is the only Welsh form I’m aware of, but it is a Patrynomic name like Hansen, which means once you get past a certain generation, the name changes every generation.

Relation to me: This is my mother's mother's mother's father's mother's maiden name

Ancestors:
i: Jones, Catherine, 1825 – 1912, Northern Wales?; Hywel Gabriel, 6 sons, 2 daughters

ii: Lewis, Evan, 1788 – 1864, Northern Wales?; unknown, 1 known daughter, 1 known son, other children likely

iii: Edwart, Lewis, ? – about 1815, Northern Wales?; unknown, 8 children, only 1 known—a son

Looking for:
As you can see, the information on this side is far more scattered than the usual. At the moment, I seem to have misplaced the originals I got this information from, but this is everything those documents contained. No females but for my great-great-great-great grandmother, and little surety at the moment aside from the document I have about Gabriel Howell, Catherine's son, which mentions this line, which unfortunately has no documentation attached.

Unfortunately, I do not know my way around my Welsh ancestors so easily as I do my Scandinavian ones, though I someday hope to.

What I am looking for is any information about any of these people, though I'm most interested in starting with Catherine to firm up the connection between her and her father, given the difference in their names. I would certainly love to have any information about Evan and Lewis's wives at all.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

About this blog

This blog is maintained by two sisters who have had a life long interest in geneology.
Mika writes here mostly about our family (Hansen, Hillinger, Bordewick, Park, etc), and her search for more information.
Shannon mostly uses this space as a place to make the many stories written about and by her husband's family (Holly, Walker, Walpole, etc) available to the rest of the family, present and future.

Our blog is named Oh Spusch! mostly because Shannon is bad at naming things. The first post I put up includes a story about the time Walker's great grandfather took his whole family out to see a play and the littlest kept saying "Oh! Spusch!" No one ever figured out what she meant by that.