Posted by Elf Flame Friday, March 1, 2013
Birth: about 1870
Death: about 1929
Marriage: Before 1890
Relation to me: Feige Golda Reich is my paternal grandfather's maternal grandmother, which makes her 5th generation before me.
Alias(es): none known
Children: Naftali Mendel, Dora, Minna, ?, ?
Other Family: No other direct family known.
I know only a little bit more about Feige than I do about her husband Benzion. Like all of my Jewish great-great grandparents, I have no BMD information aside from what I have gotten from family, so my dates for her are vague at best. I do know she lived a good deal of her life in Czudek, and raised her children there, then moved to Frankfurt after her husband's death. I also know, from a photo we have of her in her later life, that she lived until the late twenties, thanks to my great grandmother. But other than raising possibly five children in a small town in Galicia, I know very little else about her life.
1) Like the rest of my Jewish great-grandparents, I got all my information on Feige from my grandfather. Up until my sister and I started a book about our family, this was most of the information I had on her.
2) As stated above, I also have one photo of her with a note on the back from my great grandmother stating that this was her mother during her time in Frankfurt, and that she died sometime in the late twenties.
3) Like Benzion, she is also mentioned in the Hillinger Family book. Mostly, it refers to her as Dora's mother, and as having lived in Czudek.
4) She is also listed on her son's immigration record to Brazil. She is only mentioned on it, but it gives Mendel's birth as Czudek, so that is confirmed, at least.
5) My last piece of information is the wedding invitation in the Hillinger family book. It lists her as inviting people to attend her daughter's wedding. She and Leon are the two parents on the invitation, so that has led me to assume that they were the only parents the couple had alive at the time.
Like Alex's parents, I have no BMD information on Feige, only word of mouth and guesses from the documentation I do have, so I can only speculate at those dates. Like the others, I have no clue where to even start looking for information for her, as most of the paperwork in Frankfurt was likely destroyed by the Nazis. If there were any records for her in Czudek, those are likely long gone, too.
Like with Benzion, I would also love better records about her children. I am lucky to have what I do, but I would love to know more, despite the pitfall I am rather certain awaits with the two missing Kresch children.
I would love to learn about her family as well. Parents, siblings, ancestors…I speculate that she was born in Czudek, as most people didn't travel far from home, especially women at that time and in that area. They tended to move in family groups or not at all. But unless I find records, I am unlikely to find out more.
That's everything I have. I'd love to know more about her, especially about her ancestors, but for now, I'll just take what I can find as I find it. As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.