Brick Wall People – Part 5 – Benjamin Jones



Benjamin Jones with his wife & daughters
Name: Benjamin Jones
Birth: my records read "Before December 24, 1865." I have him listed as being born in Caio, Wales.
Death: before 1915, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
Marriage: before 1882, in Wales
Relation to me: Benjamin Jones is my maternal grandmother's paternal grandfather, which makes him 5th generation before me.
Alias(es): None known at this time.
Parents: unknown
Spouse(s): Hannah Griffith
Children: Daniel, David, Joseph, Jack, William, May, Sophia
Other Family: No other direct family known.
Details: The majority of information I have on Benjamin comes from my grandmother, his granddaughter, who only knew of him from her father, as he died before she was born. I do know that he and his wife apparently ran the post office in Merthyr Tydfil, and that Hannah continued to run it even after his death.

Beyond that, I really know nothing about this man. I don't know how he moved from Caio to Merthyr Tydfil, or when and where he married his wife, or if he always worked in the post office, or anything.
Proof:
1)      All my details on Benjamin in my family tree came from my grandmother, and through her father. Beyond that, I had no specific proof for many years.
2)      My first actual proof came from the record of my great-grandfather's death on Family Search, which lists Benjamin as his father. I assume this came from my grandmother or one of her siblings, but it at least is a more concrete proof of Benjamin's existence than the family tree I had.
3)      The last piece of proof I have is from family photos dating to around the turn of the century, one of which shows Benjamin with his wife and daughters. I do not believe we have any other shots of him, but it is lovely to have the one we do have.
Needed:
I have no exact BMD information for Benjamin, though I know if I want to pay for it, it should be available on the UK BMD records website, along with marriage information for he and Hannah. This is obviously my next step, but I worry that I will pay for something and find nothing, which is why I have continued to put off paying for any services that offer it.
I'd love to know more about his life, especially life before Merthyr Tydfil, and who his parents were, how many siblings he might have had, and how he met Hannah.

And really, that's all I have on Benjamin. If you're a member of the Jones family who knows more about him, I'd love to hear the stories you have, and I'd love to share what I have as well. Please feel free to contact me.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

About this blog

This blog is maintained by two sisters who have had a life long interest in geneology.
Mika writes here mostly about our family (Hansen, Hillinger, Bordewick, Park, etc), and her search for more information.
Shannon mostly uses this space as a place to make the many stories written about and by her husband's family (Holly, Walker, Walpole, etc) available to the rest of the family, present and future.

Our blog is named Oh Spusch! mostly because Shannon is bad at naming things. The first post I put up includes a story about the time Walker's great grandfather took his whole family out to see a play and the littlest kept saying "Oh! Spusch!" No one ever figured out what she meant by that.