Posted by Elf Flame Saturday, March 9, 2013
The Pugh Family
This is one of the more murky parts of my family tree. Like the Currans, who I knew little about when starting my family quest, I know almost nothing about this line, and did not even have the name Pugh attached to it until recently, when I found Selina Howell's death record on Family Search. I originally had Selina's parents listed as Hug Roberts and Ellen Griffiths, but in the record, her mother's name is listed as Pugh. As of yet, that is the only time I have found the name, so I still have not completely confirmed it, but it is possible that somewhere a generation or two ago, her maiden name was confused with another maiden name on this branch, though on a different side. My grandmother's paternal grandmother was a Griffiths, so it's possible that it was somehow attached to this woman by accident. Until I find more on her, though, I have no way of confirming that one way or the other.
Aside from that, I have very little on this line. I have no parents for Ellen, and no siblings for Selina, so I have no way of tracking further back at this time. I do know that at the time Selina was born, Ellen and Hugh lived in Northern Wales. I'm not sure if that was where they were from or not, or where they might have been born or married, but I continue to look. Their surnames are distinctly Welsh, so I continue to assume for now that they are at least Welsh.
This line, for those interested:
* Ellen Pugh (or Griffiths) married Hugh Roberts. I have no birth, marriage or death information for her aside from that, though I do know that she was likely alive when her daughter's family moved to Canada, or died at about that time, as there is a photo of her with my great-grandmother as a baby. I have only one child for them: Selina.
* Selina Roberts was born in Duffryn, Northern Wales in 1846. She married Gabriel Howells in 1874, and they had 8 children, two of whom died in a Whooping Cough epidemic in 1877. She moved with her husband and children to Southern Wales for a time, and from there to Canada, eventually settling in Vancouver, BC, where she died in 1933.
* For information on the Howells family and descendants, see the Howells surname post.
What I need:
* Some sort of confirmation of which surname was Ellen's maiden name.
* Information on Ellen and Hugh's marriage. When they married, where they married, how many children they had.
* Where and when Ellen born, who her parents were, and whether or not she had siblings.
This post marks the end of my second round of Surname Saturday. I do have many other surnames in my tree, of course, but little to no documentation on most of them, and unlike this last generation, I know almost nothing about most of them, so I'll leave this for a time. Instead, I'm going to do posts starting next Monday about the women in my family, starting with my grandmothers and working my way back, in honor of Women's History month. I hope you'll follow those as well.