Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: d'Aboville Numbers

From Genea-Musings last week:

1) Do you know what a d'Aboville numbering system is? A clear description of it is in the Encyclopedia of Genealogy here, and on Wikipedia here. Pretty neat numbering system, isn't it?

2) What are your own d'Aboville numbers for your four lines of your grandparents (starting with the first known person in the paternal line)? Your genealogy software program may be able to help you with this [Family tree Maker 2011, RootsMagic 4 and Legacy Family Tree 7 can, but Family Tree Maker 16 and earlier cannot].

3) Tell us your own d'Aboville numbers for your four grandparent paternal lines in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a status line, note or comment on Facebook.

4) for extra credit, tell us how you figured out your d'Aboville numbers - which program, and the process.

For me, as far as I know (a lot of gaps in my knowledge):
From my paternal line - Leon Seneft (mid 1800s) - 1.1.2.1.1 (I'm not entirely certain of the first two, and my grandfather was a twin, so I'm not sure if he was second or third-born.)
From my paternal grandmother's paternal line - Knud Madsen (mid 1700s) - 1.1.1.1.3.1.1.1 (again, not sure of the first three, but the rest all have dates)
From my mom's paternal line - Hans Henrich Bordvick (mid 1700s) - 1.2.4.1.1.1.3.1 (the first in this is the only one I'm not certain of)
From my maternal grandmother's paternal line - Benjamin Jones (mid 1800s) - 1.1.3.3.1 (again, not sure about the first, but I'm pretty sure the rest are correct)

Luckily I don't have many generations in my tree, so it was pretty easy to figure out by hand.

However--I want to do my maternal lines, too. So...

From my maternal line - Ellen (Pugh or Griffiths) Roberts (early 1800s) - 1.1.6.3.3.1 (and again, uncertain with the first two)
From my maternal grandfather's maternal line - Jennie (Jane) (Blair) Curran (early 1800s) - 1.1.3.1.3.1 (uncertain about the first, possibly iffy on the second)
From my paternal grandmother's maternal line - Birthe Marie (Schroder) Larsen (early 1800s) - 1.1.3.1.1.1 (only uncertain on the first)
From my dad's father's maternal line - Fiege Golda (Reich) Kresch (mid 1800s) - 1.1.2.1.1 (uncertain on the first two, and again, not certain if my grandfather is second or third born)


Oh, that's fun. I like numbering systems... :D

0 comments :

Post a Comment

About this blog

This blog is maintained by two sisters who have had a life long interest in geneology.
Mika writes here mostly about our family (Hansen, Hillinger, Bordewick, Park, etc), and her search for more information.
Shannon mostly uses this space as a place to make the many stories written about and by her husband's family (Holly, Walker, Walpole, etc) available to the rest of the family, present and future.

Our blog is named Oh Spusch! mostly because Shannon is bad at naming things. The first post I put up includes a story about the time Walker's great grandfather took his whole family out to see a play and the littlest kept saying "Oh! Spusch!" No one ever figured out what she meant by that.